Got Photo ID?

Para Español haga clic en la palabra TRANSLATE abajo

If you're a registered voter, all you need to vote is your driver's license, military ID, Kansas college ID, or other qualifying ID card.

The new Kansas voting law-it's just that easy.

Changes in Kansas Voting Law
On April 18, 2011, Kansas Governor Sam Brownback signed the Kansas Secure and Fair Elections (S.A.F.E.) Act into law. Sponsored by the Office of the Kansas Secretary of State, website contains information every voter should know about changes impacting elections under the S.A.F.E. law.

Starting January 1, 2012:
1. Kansas voters must show photographic identification when casting a vote in person; and
2. Kansas voters must have their signature verified and provide a full Kansas driver's license or non-driver ID number when voting by mail.

Starting January 1, 2013:
Newly-registered Kansas voters must prove U.S. citizenship when registering to vote.

Valid Forms of Photographic Identification
  • A driver’s license or nondriver’s identification card issued by Kansas or by another state or district of the United States
  • A concealed carry of handgun license issued by Kansas or a concealed carry of handgun or weapon license issued by another state or district of the United States
  • A United States passport
  • An employee badge or identification document issued by a municipal, county, state, or federal government office
  • A military identification document issued by the United States
  • A student identification card issued by an accredited postsecondary institution of education in the state of Kansas
  • A public assistance identification card issued by a municipal, county, state or federal government office
Exemptions from the Photographic Identification Requirement

Persons age 65 or older may use expired photo ID documents.

The photo ID requirements do not apply to military and overseas citizens who vote under the federal Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA).

The photo ID requirements do not apply in mail ballot elections. Mail ballot elections are limited to local jurisdictions holding special question-submitted elections.

Any person whose religious beliefs prohibit photographic identification may be exempted from the photo ID requirement. Any such person must complete and sign a Declaration of Religious Objection (Form DRO).

Advance Voters Identification Requirements
A person voting in person in the county election office or at a satellite site is treated the same as a regular voter at the polling place on election day.

A person voting by mail may write his or her driver’s license number on the application form or submit a copy of valid identification with the ballot application.

If an advance voter fails to provide identification information, or if the information provided is not valid, the county election officer may issue a provisional ballot, but the ballot is not considered valid unless the voter submits identification sometime before the county canvass.

Permanent Advance Voters Identification Requirements
A permanent advance voter must submit valid photo ID with the application for permanent status, with the ballot the first time voting after applying for permanent status, or at some other time before the county canvass. Once identification has been provided, it is not required at future elections as long as the voter remains on the permanent advance voting list.

Voters who were on the permanent advance list before January 1, 2012 are exempt from the photo ID requirement, including the one-time requirement, as long as they remain on the permanent advance voting list.

Free Photographic Identification
A registered voter who does not possess any of the approved government-issued photographic identification documents and who wishes to vote may apply for a free nondriver’s identification card at the Division of Motor Vehicles. The person must sign a form containing an affidavit stating that he/she is registered to vote and does not possess a photographic identification document. The form is provided by the Division of Motor Vehicles and is available at all driver’s license offices and on the Secretary of State’s website at The form also is available at all county election offices.

Kansas Secretary of State
Elections Division
120 SW 10th Avenue
Topeka, KS 66612-1594
(800) 262-VOTE

Seward County Clerk’s Office, 515 N. Washington, Liberal, KS 67901, Phone (620) 626-3355, Fax (620) 626-3211